Friday, February 10, 2006

Be of Good Cheer

I have said this to you, that in me you may have peace. In the world you have tribulation; but be of good cheer, I have overcome the world. John 16:33

I attended a dinner with over 60 of my law partners in Kansas City, MO last Thursday night. In visiting with my partners, I heard of so many struggles with health, relationships, and concerns. It seems that all around me, and in even in my own family, we have struggled with so many injuries and a couple of near death experiences for two my own children this past year. It is so tempting to cry out "Woe is Me!" as if the world cares?

Into this chaotic world, God interjected himself in human flesh in the man Jesus Christ. And, what does he say? In spite of the tribulation [read NORMAL] , we are to "be of good cheer". Our joy is not that we are spared from the ravages of disease or death, but that God has overcome the world. This was proven by the resurrection of Jesus Christ.

I get comments from folks from time to time who don't comment on the blog. One of those comments I received was from Helen Totty. I asked her if I could share her thoughts and she gave me her permission. She says it better than I:


"I haven't had much time lately to be on the computer -- but I did get caught
up on your blog last week. The subject of joy touches a cord with me
because, as Christians, we seem to spend so much time thinking about our own
joy or happiness (and that of our families) rather than putting our Father's
joy in us first. When I read Heb. 12:1-2 I see our example of perfect
joy -- running the race marked out for us, just as Christ did when He
endured the cross. How could I ever think that my life's work should afford
me more pleasure or happiness than my Lord had here on earth? His joy was
to do the will of His Father; His great joy was to make his disciples' joy
complete. There is a joy that is beyond description that comes from walking
in our Father's will and knowing that I am surrendered to do that will.
Nothing else comes close. He has marked out a race for us, complete with
disappointments, failures, pain, and suffering, but the joy that will be
ours from enduring to the end and winning the crown of life transcends
anything this world can offer. That joy stays in my heart even when
everything else is hurting - I would follow my Shepherd even to the cross.
Somehow, I believe His crucifixion was much more painful than my crucifixion
of self and also the only reason I can follow in His steps of dying. What a
glorious inheritance is waiting for us!"


All I can add is "Amen".

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home