Wednesday, December 28, 2005

One thing I know, that though I was blind, now I see.

As he said this, he spat on the ground and made clay of the spittle and anointed the man's eyes with the clay, saying to him, "Go, wash in the pool of Silo'am" (which means Sent). So he went and washed and came back seeing. [John 9:6-7]
I love the story of Jesus healing the blind man recorded in John 9. It is such a microcosm of people's reaction to God interjecting himself into the world in a miraculous way. I recently underwent surgery for a detached retina in my right eye. I was driving home on a Sunday evening and noticed some flashing lights and increased floaters in my right eye. I went to see my eye doctor on Monday. The doctor had her nurse walk me down the hall to introduce me to a surgeon at the Barnes Retinal Institute. The next day I was at the hospital having an intraocular gas bubble inserted into my right eye. The surgery leaves you with temporary impaired vision in the eye; but, over the next month I hope to regain my vision. I realize this is next to nothing compared to those who suffer true blindness. But, the inconvenience and loss of ability to drive made me think about how that blind man had suffered from his inability to see.
The story in Chapter 9 of John was not one that developed the Messianic claim of Jesus. In fact, when the people asked the blind man about what he thought about Jesus he answered, "He is a prophet!" (v. 17) When further questioned about the man who had healed him, the blind man gives his simple profession of testimony: "Whether he is a sinner, I do not know; one thing I know, that though I was blind, now I see." I think this simple statement of faith is one that every believer can identify with in each of our lives. We may not understand the cosmic signficance of how God enters enters this universe and interacts with his creation; but, every believer can make the same profound statement of faith: Though I was blind, now I see". God gives each of us an encounter to which we can testify as to his interaction. It may not be as dramatic or miraculous as that of the blind man; but, the good things that God gives us are blessings for which we need to be thankful. I am feeling very blessed to live in a time and location where one's detached retina can be be "fixed". Healing is a blessing. Jesus's mission was not to heal every blind person in the world. But, the blindness caused by sin is the true malady that Jesus came to cure. That is the true miracle of God's grace and love that is being played out in the lives of people today.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home