Saturday, July 22, 2006

Thy word is a lamp to my feet and a light to my path. 106 I have sworn an oath and confirmed it, to observe thy righteous ordinances. 107 I am sorely afflicted; give me life, O LORD, according to thy word! 108 Accept my offerings of praise, O LORD, and teach me thy ordinances. Psalms 119:105-108
Last night I was sitting at home alone in the dark without electricity. With no lights, TV, radio or distractions, I was reminded in the stillness and quietness of how God speaks to us when we are silent. I did use my flashlight to read a bit. Sometimes I just play Bible roulette. I open the Bible at random and just start reading. Last night it was Psalms 119. The above passage stood out in my mind. While it may be dark all around us, God's word is the lamp of life that allows to see the way to walk. And, while we may be sorely afflicted from all sorts of struggles in this world, life comes from the Word of God. When we truly comprehend that the Word (John 1:1) is God, and that the Word once became flesh (John 1:14), we can begin to grasp that our spiritual lives are covenants made between each of us and the one who made us. That covenant is not "law" but "relationship". This is why we can, in all circumstances, lift up offerings of praise to our Lord and our God.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home