Thursday, September 14, 2006

Welcome David Bearden

David Bearden will be joining us as a new minister at the McKnight Road Church of Christ on October 1, 2006. David has written the following and approved of our posting it here:


As I posted my last articles for the Sunny Hills Church of Christ, I thought of how long I have been doing this. The writing of a weekly “what’s happening” article, where its wide ranging topics cause it to live up to its name of “DB’s Dabblings,” has a history before the twelve years of appearing in the Sunny Hills church bulletin. My first “DB’s Dabblings” started in 1977 in the bulletin of the Church of Christ in Harrisburg, Arkansas where I preached while attending Harding Graduate School of Religion in Memphis. The other consistent weekly article I write started while preaching for the Springdale congregation in Tulsa, Oklahoma in 1981 and took the name, “Sage Page,” for its being based in the wisdom literature of the Bible. Over the years the “Sage Page” articles have taken on additional functions beyond their written format in church bulletins by becoming newspaper articles, radio spots, web pages, and for the last ten years as “Telephone Proverbs” for the Orange County Register “Info Line.” I look forward to continuing to share weekly bits of information, encouragement and my excitement for our work together through “DB’s Dabblings.” I am also eager to find forums for the “Sage Page” to demonstrate the practical application of God’s Word for daily living. I guess this qualifies as my first “DB’s Dabblings” for the McKnight Rd. church. Since it is my “inaugural” article with you, let me pull a quote from John F. Kennedy’s inaugural speech January 20, 1961, “And so, my fellow Americans: ask not what your country can do for you -- ask what you can do for your country.” As we begin our work together may we each ask what we can do for the Lord’s Church at McKnight Rd. to help it be a church that will cause non-members throughout St. Louis to ask us what the Lord can do for them (1 Pet. 3:15).

David Bearden

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home