Sunday, January 14, 2007

Day One of 40 Days of Purpose

“It All Starts with God,” and if we could just remember that! Indeed it is not about you! It is not about me! So much of what we hear about when we consider our participation in “church” is about “me.” If I like the sermon, or the music. If I think my needs are being met. If I enjoyed my worship experience today. Sounds a whole lot like it is about me, and in fact, very little to do with God. No wonder we need to study about our purpose, when we spend so much of our time leaving God out of our lives, and even out of our religion. Day One grabs us with the reminder that if we are going to discover the purpose of our lives we need to back up to begin with God. How can we begin to answer the most crucial questions in life if we leave out God? How will we ever know the will of God if we try to find it without God? I am here to the praise of His glory (Eph. 1:3-14), not for my glory, and may I never forget it!

It reminds me of an old song by John Denver, “Sweet, Sweet Surrender.”

Lost and alone on some forgotten highway
Travelled by many remembered by few
Lookin for something that I can believe in
Lookin for something that Id like to do with my life

Theres nothin behind me and nothin that ties me
To somethin that might have been true yesterday
Tomorrow is open and right now it seems to be more
Than enough to just be there today

And I dont know what the future is holdin in store
I dont know where Im goin, Im not sure where Ive been
Theres a spirit that guides me, a light that shines for me
My life is worth the livin, I dont need to see the end

We are traveling lost and alone on some forgotten highway trying to find something to believe in and to do with our lives if we travel life’s journey without God, but if he becomes the spirit that guides us, life becomes worth the living and he will bring us to a glorious end that will last forever.

David

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home