Tuesday, March 20, 2007

A Symbol in the Snow

It seems appropriate on this first day of Spring to take one more look at winter before we move on. So in the middle of planning Easter and getting ready for all the comparisons of spring renewal to spiritual renewal, how about one more spiritual application to winter?

The snow was draping the barren wood with a white veil when the scene was highlighted by the red of a cardinal bouncing from tree to tree. The more the surroundings became pure white, the more brilliant in contrast was the crimson bird who had now seemed to absorb my attention in a calm stare from which I could not look away. I thought of my Lord’s purity descending upon a rough hewn cross turned red by his precious blood. And I can’t take my eyes off this symbol of God’s merciful love.

In the symbolism of this colorful scene I found the contrasts of life and death, hope and despair, salvation and devastation. The contrast of a fallen world, with the vision of a time renewed. The contrast of the burden of sin and guilt, with freely offered forgiveness. The contrast of the pain and suffering, with a reconciliation when every tear will be dried. The contrast of a helpless hopeless dark lost world searching for meaning, with the sense of purpose in the wisdom of an everlasting God of peace. The contrast of lonely people needing a place to belong, with a family nestled in the loving arms of their eternal Father. And I can’t take my eyes off this symbol of God’s merciful love.

The little scarlet creature eventually winged away leaving only the beauty of unstained white, even as Jesus after his sacrifice left us with the gift of complete removal of sin. We need not ask him back for the price has been paid, and need never be paid again. It is mine to realize through the eyes of faith the application of his grace. And I can’t take my eyes off this symbol of God’s merciful love.

Remember the lyrics of Fanny Crosby?

Though your sins be as scarlet,
They shall be as white as snow;
Though your sins be as scarlet,
They shall be as white as snow;
Though they be red like crimson,
They shall be as wool.

Or the great song by Gleason Whitey, “His Grace Reaches Me,”

Deeper than the ocean and wider than the sea,
Is the grace of the Savior for sinners like me;
Sent from the Father, and it thrills my soul,
Just to feel and to know,
That His blood makes me whole.

Higher than the mountains and brighter than the sun,
It was offered at Calv'ry for ev'ry one;
Greatest of treasures, and it's mine today,
Though my sins were as scarlet,
He has washed them a way.

His grace reaches me, yes,
His grace reaches me,
And 'twill last through eternity;
Now I'm under His control and I'm happy in my soul,
Just to know that His grace reaches me.

Father, help me to ever keep my eyes on Jesus and the cross where you continue to show me your love.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home