Thursday, November 30, 2006

"Benevolence"

“Benevolence”

I write this with mixed emotion and motivation. While I would love to hear input on this subject, it also comes as a bit of a confession. I confess, not only to the fact that after 30 years of ministry I still don’t know how to deal with “benevolence,” but also that I feel guilty. Guilty, that I get so frustrated in dealing with “beggars.” Guilty, that I cross-examine them to find out the truth of their stories. Guilty, when my heart is soft and I give away and wonder if I was a good steward of the resources God has entrusted to me. Guilty, that I helped with money, lodging, and service; but they walked away without learning to make better choices, or worse, without knowing my Lord.

Now, let me say that this article does not flow as one from random thought. Last night I began to go about my Wednesday night “church activities” with a bit of a heavy heart upon hearing of a member’s hardship and their request for help. In the discussion of the leadership to determine the best way to help, we were reminded of the perspectives from Scripture. That we are to “share with God’s people who are in need” (Rom. 12:13). That the early Church took care of one another to the extent that “there were no needy persons among them” (Acts 4:32-35). That we should “do good to all people, especially to those who belong to the family of believers” (Gal. 6:10). That we should “excel in this grace of giving” (2 Cor. 8:7) as we do in any area of our Christian walk. That “we must help the weak” for Jesus taught that “it is more blessed to give than to receive” (Acts 20:35), and by doing these good works we bring glory to the Father as we shine the light of Jesus in the world (Mat. 5:16).

And yet, we are also reminded that Scripture plainly teaches that “if a man will not work he shall not eat” (2 Thes. 3:10). And we certainly know that in our efforts to try help our brothers and our sisters we need to teach them to discipline themselves, be good stewards and make wise godly decisions.

So with this on my heart, I go to the auditorium only to be stopped by a sister informing me that “there is a man over there who wants to meet with you.” You guessed it – A BEGGAR! A stranger in need – a benevolence call! I had worked with him before just a few weeks ago. His story didn’t make sense then, but he had received help and now he was back. I began the cross-examination again. I felt frustrated and challenged his inconsistencies and grew angry with his lies, and grew angry with myself that I was getting angry for he certainly needed help, even if his story was fabricated. Eventually, with the help of my dear faithful compassionate brother Larry, we put the man in my car and took him to the hospital, eventually to a motel and got him something to eat. You ask, “Why? He was not being completely truthful with his story, why help him?” Now, here’s the rub, I am not completely sure. Except, guilt! Guilt, that I did not feel I was being like Christ, if I didn’t give him some help in the name of the Lord.

That was last night, today, I’m back to deal with the brother in need. Not a stranger, but a member of our church family. I must deal with this benevolence also in the name of the Lord to be like Christ. I must help, but with my brother I have an ongoing relationship that includes teaching him to help himself so he might not be a burden to the church (2 Thes. 3:6-15) and that he will be able to help others in need in the future (Eph. 4:28). So what do I do? I can’t send him on his way telling him that I am praying for him, be warmed and filled. True Christian love and discipleship are demonstrated in my serving the needs of my brothers and sisters (John 13; 1 John 3-4). So what now?

Am I the only one who struggles with practicing “benevolence” in compassion with wisdom?

David Bearden

1 Comments:

At Thu Nov 30, 07:18:00 PM CST, Blogger Bradford L. Stevens said...

I doubt we will get much discussion on this topic? This is one of the harder areas of church life. Richard Dolan used to handle this ministry for years and did so with a wonderful heart and head. I used to call him for advice. He taught me that one should never give cash to those who approach in need. Because he had done this for so long, he got know the "regulars". No one ever went away without something to eat, or a ride to a shelter. But, we learned that you can't pay folks' bills for utilities or rent. In so doing, you enable them to use that money for things that often end up hurting them.

I believe that the best form of benevolence comes from the doors of opportunities that the Lord puts into our lives. Like the good Samaritan, he did not set out to "do benevolence" that day. He was confronted with a situation and he dealt with it. Too often, members simply want to pass the buck to the preacher, the Elders or the deacons to "deal" with a situation.

There are two groups of people whom we need to give special attention: (1) widows, and (2) orphans. I pray for the wisdom to discern as Jesus taught his disciples to be as wise as serpents; but, as harmless as doves. I don't have a lot of compulsion to enable professional panhandlers who go from church to church. I find Paul's admonition to the church not to enable those who refuse to work to be quite compelling. But, if we ever turn our back on those special people who are in need, I fear the consequences. That is one reason I like supporting efforts like Christian Family Services, Inc. When a single mother falls and breaks her leg ending up in the hospital while she has 2 year old twins, a licensed foster care home with a Christian couple steps in to help care for her children while she recuperates. I don't know of a much purer form of religion. Or, when a couple on the brink of divorce is able to consult with a Christian licensed marriage therapist who counsels them in ways to save their marriage, we advance the borders of the kingdom of God and strengthen a family.

I suspect that Jesus was worn out by the requests of so many who wanted him to do things for them. But, he was always about the message of the kingdom even while he went about helping and healing others. Thanks David for your insights and openness in sharing the struggles of the kingdom.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home