Thursday, January 25, 2007

Day 12 in the 40 Days of Purpose

“Developing Your Friendship with God”

My thought as I worked through this chapter was how developing my friendship with God compared with the growth of my relationship with my wife. We are closer now than any time in our marriage after 32 years. It is not that everything has been perfect in our marriage, and it certainly does not mean that I have been a perfect husband. But as the years have gone by, we have improved our communication and found more areas of life that we hold in common and share mutually. We have worked through difficult times together and through them drawn closer to each other. We have learned to trust each other instinctively and to depend on each other. We have learned to be each other’s strength for the other’s weakness. We cherish the happy times and remember them together, and have found joy even in the hard times. It has been a process of growth, not always easy, but steady in a positive direction.

When I compare my relationship with God to my marriage relationship, I see several similarities. It also is a relationship built on sharing the good times along with the bad. The longer we are together, the more we seem to share. The more I seem to see a bigger plan, the more I draw strength and find encouragement in his love. The more I am with God the more trust grows and the more I feel he is there for me, the more confident I am in our love for one another.

David

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home